Thursday 18 September 2014

The Trouble With Getting Up

Have you ever woken up to your alarm in the morning only to hit snooze and go back to sleep for fifteen minutes? And then that fifteen minutes becomes an hour? Then whatever plans you had to do when you set the alarm for that time are no longer a reality and you have to rush to get ready for work or school or whatever.

Lately, I've been setting my alarm for 5:10AM so I can get up early and hit the gym before I have to get ready for work. There is a fitness room in my apartment building so I don't even have to go far. However, I have been slacking off on it lately. I might be tired because of my busy schedule lately, but I also feel better about my day if I get a regular workout in the morning, so I value its place in my routine. But it's still so hard to get myself up.

This morning I got up and went to the gym, but not until 5:30, so I had to cut my exercise short to have time for a shower, get dressed, pack a lunch, and get out the door (I still had time to do a bit of writing this morning as well, another morning routine I need to work on). After doing my morning workout, I feel infinitely better than I did compared to yesterday when I didn't get up to exercise.

There is just something about getting ourselves up in the morning, pulling our complaining bodies out of the bed, to do something good for ourselves. Even when we know intellectually that this will be good for our us, we still want to stay in bed. Just ten more minutes, please. I consider myself an early riser, but even I can do better at this. Hopefully next week, I can get myself up more successfully, so I can get the things done I want to in the morning, starting my day off on a positive note. Because the bottom line is this: when I do take the time to get up and do stuff, I feel better all day.