Thursday 4 September 2014

Fast Food: the Dream

Since giving up junk food for the month of September, I have included fast food into that classification (coffee doesn't count, although I don't usually get coffee from McDonald's or Tim Horton's anyways). For the past year I have almost given up fast food already, having only eaten out at burger joints a handful of times since we began 2014 (maybe 5 or 6 times total).

However, I used to eat fast food....a lot. 

Almost ever day and for many years. Breakfast at Tim Horton's or McDonald's was a ritual for me in the morning. Subway at lunch or sometimes one of the aforementioned places that aren't as healthy but I would "treat myself". However, even Subway feels like fast food to me now. I know it's a healthier alternative, but it's still fast food. How long have those "fresh" veggies really been in the store?

Anyways, I had an interesting dream last night. I was in a  food court for several hours, long enough to place three separate orders to a McDonald's with plenty of time in between. It was greasy and fried and everything we've come to associate with the big golden arches. Essentially, lots of flavour but no substance. Waking up from the dream, a year ago, I would have run to the nearest restaurant and order a McChicken or a Quarter Pounder. This morning, I just felt relieved that I didn't really go order three meals in one morning. I feel so much better about myself now that I don't eat from fast food places. I am easily the healthiest I have ever been and a big part of this is attributed to the change in my eating habits.

Instead of going for burgers and fries at lunch today, I will be having a spinach salad with two hard-boiled eggs, a few sticks of celery with hummus, and a small snack of almonds for my morning break. This is a delicious meal, and honestly, I enjoy eating it much more than I ever enjoyed an unknown meat drenched in grease.