Monday 13 April 2015

Mindfulness: Wash Your Bowl

One of the things I am trying to get better at is cleaning my dishes more often. When they aren't done, and there are dirty dishes piling up on my counter and in my sink, I end up feeling lazy and unmotivated and like I am living in filth. Even if that isn't true, the sight of dirty dishes still leaves me feeling kind of down. So for me, it is helpful to do my dishes as soon as I use them.

A monk told Joshu, "I have just entered the monastery. Please teach me."
Joshu asked, "Have you eaten your rice porridge?"
The monk replied, "I have eaten."
Joshu said, "Then you had better wash your bowl."
At that moment the monk was enlightened.

This story reminds me to enjoy daily life, and that enlightenment comes from simply enjoying the present moment, even one as mundane and simple as washing my dishes. So when I wash my dishes, I try and do it with mindfulness. I pay attention to the feel of my dishes, the texture, what value I get from these simple objects in my life. Gratitude can go a long way for how we feel about our daily lives.

I recently posted a list of Zen Things to do on my fridge, as a reminder to be mindful and enjoy the present moment. The tenth item on the list is to make cleaning and cooking become meditation. Doing my dishes can be a calming experience. It need not be a horrendous chore. Instead I approach my dishes with a calm mind and be grateful for the opportunity to practice mindfulness.