Monday 20 April 2015

Mindfulness: Walking

I enjoy going for walks. A short walk to clear my head during a period of hard work is refreshing and calming. Outside is best; the clear fresh air feels good, even on a cold day

Walking can be a great exercise in mindfulness. But take it slow. There is no reason to power-walk. I don't often walk to get my heart rate going. Instead, I try to take my time and enjoy the moments. I notice what I do in fact notice with each step. I pay attention to my breath, just like in meditation. I pay attention to my step, recognizing my connection to the earth through the power of gravity. I notice my environment and my small place in the universe.

Going slowly can be very good practice for patience and calmness as well. I realize that I don't need to be in a rush all of the time. I usually leave a few minutes earlier than I really need to, so that I can ensure I have enough time to enjoy the walk. When I reach an intersection and the hand is blinking red, I don't read it as a sign to "hurry and cross already!" but instead I pause and simply wait. I take the opportunity to take in the world around me and feel a little bit of gratitude that all of this is here for my own experience.

Walking slowly gives me space for experience and enjoy my place in the world.