Friday 10 April 2015

Mindfulness: Eating

Mindfulness means fully engaging yourself with what you are doing. Being present.

So, when you eat, eat.

Just eat. Don't watch TV or Youtube or listen to the radio or your favorite music, or play video games, or even read a book or the newspaper. Being mindful of the food we eat not only helps be more present and aware, but we can actually enjoy our food a lot more too.

Before I started eating a healthier diet, I used to eat a lot of fast food and take out and quick microwavable meals. I ate while listening to music, or playing with my phone, or watching TV, etc. I wasn't really paying attention to what I was putting in my mouth and digesting.

Now, I try and pay more attention. I try to eat slower and really savor the taste and the texture of my food. It helps that my food is healthier, and I can truly enjoy my meal with this mindful eating technique. Some people may look at my food and think it is boring. I usually eat a salad without any dressing and some plain brown rice or a hummus wrap for my lunch at work. Most people seem to think that it is more exciting to eat greasy bacon burgers or pizza or something with tasty sauces or condiments. But for me, by paying attention to how my food feels and affects me, I fully enjoy the modest meals I have now. 

The flavour of fruits and vegetables is something I took for granted before and never realized how enjoyable they could be when I was so deep into fast food eating. I still eat junk food and sweets and baked stuff like cinnamon buns occasionally, and I am not against the occasional burger per se, but these things have become even more enjoyable to me now that they are treats and not the regular diet.

AVOCADO!