Sunday 22 March 2015

Photography Part 2

Now that I have shared my hobby of photography, I also want to share that I am not obsessed with taking pictures like some people are. Going on trips and fun experiences and unforgettable memories don't constitute the need for a photo every moment. Memories are for remembering and not locking away on a computer hard drive or in a photo album.

Photography for me, as I said earlier, is a creative outlet for me. It is as much an art form as poetry, or cinema, or painting, or music. It uses rules and concepts like composition, contrast, colour theory, negative and positive space, minimalism and maximalism, etc. It can be used to draw attention to a particular subject and comment on its existence or it can draw us deep into the frame in abstract form and guide us toward contemplation of things, nature, or ourselves. 

This may seem kind of snobbish, to think that a simple picture can evoke such deeply philosophical thinking within us, but I think all art does this. For me, photography is just another extension of my creative effulgence and I feel better when I am creating something, whether it be a film, a poem, a novel, or a photograph. Creation is a great gift that all of us are born with. Don't let it go.

Try creating something yourself today. And, most of all, have fun with it.