Monday 2 March 2015

Paring Down the DVD Collection

I am a film-maker. I went to film school. So it goes without saying that I have a certain love for cinema. I enjoy watching movies. But lately, I find myself watching less. I only watch one or two movies a week and usually that's one with friends or my girlfriend, so it's a social function, or it's one I watch to expand my cinema tastes and learn something from an artistic perspective (I watch a lot of art-house films - the Criterion Collection is great for those!). And I watch almost zero TV shows (except with my girlfriend - we usually have one show on the go together).

Yes, I still have Night of the Hunter on DVD

Since embarking on my journey into minimalism I got rid of a lot of DVDs (check out my posts when I was playing the Minimalism Game). I still have quite a few movies in my collection though. So I am going one step further. I am paring down the collection and keeping only the DVDs that will fit onto one shelf of my bookcase (I used to have two but I got rid of one when I moved into my new apartment). The ones I keep are either for personal reasons (nostalgia or I just simply enjoy the film), or for aesthetic reasons (I can learn a lot from a film-making standpoint). Whatever the reason is, the film I keep must add value to my life. The other part to this is that I must frequently come back and reconsider my choice of possessions. Is this thing still adding value? Remember, things always change. We always change. So we must always reevaluate the things we include in our lives.