Saturday 28 March 2015

Don't Know

"Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know." - Lao Tzu

What do I know?

Nothing really. A lot at the the same time. But everything I know is just a very small fraction of my own experience. There is so much I don't know. Rather than strive to know everything, I try to be content with my own experience. 

The concept of "don't-know mind" in Zen Buddhism seems to suggest to just do rather than think about doing. When we eat, eat. When we walk, walk. By thinking too much about it, we begin to translate our experience into language and abstract symbols rather than be aware of the actual experience before us. I am not saying that thinking is bad, but sometimes it gets in the way.

Sometimes we just need to let go and realize that the universe and ourselves just are.

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know." - Albert Einstein