Wednesday 1 October 2014

Failure

I had a plan to not eat any junk food this past September. It's October now and I can confidently say:

I failed.

Failure isn't always a bad thing though, despite all of its negative connotations. I learned a lot about myself through this experience. I learned how my body feels physiologically when I don't feed it so much junk food. I learned what it feels like to crave junk food. I learned how it feels to not want junk food and have people frequently offer it to me. It's pretty amazing how much unhealthy foods are pushed on us in our society. Friends, family, and especially media and advertising wants us to share and partake in the consumption of junk. Just two days ago my mom brought me two jumbo sized bags of chips for me. This was my biggest failure. I ate those bags of chips.

I learned after these latest two bags of chips, that I don't really want them anymore. I wished I had declined her gift of chips. I may consume a few morsels of baked goods or a bag of chips every now and then, but through this experiment, I have learned that I want to focus even more on eating healthy. 

I'm going to make October another healthy eating month. Instead of the goal being "no junk food!", it's simply going to be "eat better".