Friday 20 February 2015

My Favorite Websites

I spend a lot less time on the internet these days, especially since I got rid of it at home. But when I do find some time to read an article or two, these are the sites I usually check out. (I didn't include Gmail for checking my personal emails, or YouTube for looking up songs or random videos, or Wikipedia for useful information, because these are almost generic websites that everyone is familiar with).


The first source that really introduced me to the concept of minimalism. The site is written by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus and their story is truly inspiring. The collection of essays on here is a great motivator and influence on a lot of my current ideals.

A great website for advice on how to live a better life. Written by Leo Babauta, it takes a lot of central concepts from Zen Buddhism and applies it to the practicality of daily life.

Also written by Leo Babauta, this site applies the concepts of simplicity into the very design of the layout. Simple and easy to read essays on the very essential concepts of minimalism.

Last year I had the great opportunity to have some of my creative writing critiqued by author Douglas Glover while he was the Writer-In-Residence at UNB Fredericton. This meeting was inspirational and highly influential on how I view the art and craft of writing. Even more so, it exposed me to the great online literary magazine Numero Cinq. While being an excellent resource for poetry and literature, Glover's essays have especially changed the way I write. His essay The Novel As A Poem is exceptionally moving.

My girlfriend introduced me to this great tool. An excellent site to expand our knowledge on many things. I have enjoyed the math exercises and especially the Crash Course World History series from John Green and the Wi-Phi Philosophy videos.

A fun site for a daily reading from the Tao Te Ching. A little bit of ancient Eastern philosophy is a great bit of writing to be mindful of throughout my day.