Friday 13 February 2015

How I Use the Internet Now

I don't have the internet at home anymore. So how do I use the internet now? I obviously still use it (or else how are you reading this now?).

Well, I have access during my day job to check emails and whatnot. Of course, I limit my internet usage at work so I can actually do my job, but I do have the opportunity to check email, read a few articles, update my blog, etc.

I also use the internet at my girlfriend's apartment on occasion and sometimes I can visit the public library (I love libraries!) or visit a coffee shop that has free wi-fi. The resources for internet access are everywhere these days. I really don't need it at home. Even if I only accessed it through the library or coffee shops, that would be enough for what I really need it for.

So how do I use the internet now that it isn't in my home? 

I use it more intentionally.


When I go online now, there is a reason for me to be online. I must have a specific reason to use the internet, even if it just to watch a Youtube video I've been meaning to watch. But I wait until I have time to go online and watch that video. I delay the urge to instantly gratify my desires. The internet is a tool after all (a wonderful, huge expansive one, but a tool nonetheless). It doesn't have to be an extension of our whole life. Instead, I now use it for reasons that add value to my life, instead of just killing time. My time is valuable and through this process of minimalism, I am reclaiming that time.