Saturday 27 December 2014

Indulgence and Moderation Part 2

So I have returned from all of my family holiday visits and am back home in my peaceful apartment. Before I left I wrote a post on indulging in Christmas treats and my goal to enjoy the holiday goodies in moderation.

Well, I FAILED.


It wasn't that bad, honestly, but I did eat a lot more sweets then I intended. I had some moments of resistance where I declined another piece of cheesecake, Moments where I really wanted to grab another chocolate Toblerone but I stayed my hand and watched another ten minutes of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation before taking another. It is really difficult, though. The holiday season seems to be the time of year where people like to pressure us into indulgence. It only comes around once a year, they say. Live a little, they say. Just a few more won't hurt, they say. 

We say it, too. 

When we buy into these coaxes, we are inadvertently selling it to ourselves. I agree that there is nothing wrong with eating a few chocolate truffles or having a couple candy canes. But what about when those two become five? When that five becomes ten? Ten becomes twenty? What about when you end up eating fifty? What about when you return home after the break and your body is so used to eating copious amounts of junk food that we keep wanting more? It's a slippery slope into unhealthy eating habits. It's going to take some work to get back into a healthy routine but it is a priority in my life. Here's to eating healthy and resisting the urge to eat more chocolate!