Wednesday 3 December 2014

Healthy Eating

My mother recently bought a ton of groceries for me. I am undoubtedly appreciative of this gesture, but.... there is a lot of junk food that comes with it. The bane of my health, Doritos, came along with it. A huge bag, too. Twice the size of a regular size. And guess what? I ate all of it. I have more chips at home now too but I am trying to stay away from it as much as I can.

However, there is some good with this predicament as well. I recently wrote about the act of delaying my urges and my plan to stop buying Doritos at work. Well so far I have succeeded this week. When I get the urge, I tell myself I can have a snack at home. Then I can save the $1.50 that it would cost me to buy some. Usually by the time I get home I have supper (usually something healthy - last night I ate fish with roasted red peppers and onions over couscous, and I cooked it all myself) and after that I usually am no longer in the mood for a snack (except maybe a cup of tea). So I pass through the whole day without chips.

What I've learned in the past year is that how I feel is directly linked to what I eat. I eat salad for lunch everyday now, and I snack on apples or celery or hummus instead of chips or candy. Sometimes I'll eat a few nuts too (usually cashews or almonds - no salt added). I still eat junk food every now and then, but I do so in moderation, and if I do eat some fast food or some candy, I make sure to eat something healthy to counteract the bad effects it may have on my body. Since eating healthier and putting more fruits and vegetables in my body than probably any other period in my life, I really feel better than ever before. Not just physically, either, but mentally and emotionally. I feel better about going to work, about personal projects I am working on, about how I look. It feels great. The weather doesn't even bother me anymore. I can look outside at freezing rain and slushy streets and see the beauty in the changing season - all because I feel better inside. And that starts with eating healthy food.