Tuesday 26 August 2014

Money Trumps Life

Today, at my workplace, I honestly overhead a coworker say this statement:

 "Money trumps life."

Nor am I all that surprised. I hear a lot of people talk about money at my place of employment. It is the goal. The ultimate dream. More money. I can make good money with that job. I'll be making a lot more next year if I get that promotion. During a class discussion about what motivates people to achieve something, a fellow student proudly spoke up: "money!" The first and the loudest answer to the question of motivation.

I want to question this though. Is money really the most important thing in life? Is it the reason we work our jobs, or get up in the morning? Is my whole life goal to just make as much money as possible? I don't think so.

I've read a lot about minimalism and living an intentional life lately. I love these concepts. I am also reading a lot about the concept of moneyless living. Another great idea, but it is a little more extreme than just minimalism and living intentionally. However, I want to live a simple life. To me the beauty of life is the experience of it. A good book. A nice meal. A laugh with a friend. Holding hands with someone you love. None of these need to be bound to money. I think a lot of us have lost sight of what truly makes us happy for the goal of simply making money, keeping us trapped in a society we are not really happy with for the gain of a concept that is merely an illusion.

Money = Illusion. It isn't real.

I leave you with this great speech from philosopher Alan Watts. What if money were no object? What would you really want to do with your life?