Thursday 28 August 2014

Meditation

The past few months I have discovered the joy of meditation. At first it was just difficult to sit there and try not to think. I felt like a fool. I felt like I was wasting time when I could be doing something.

But then something happened. I felt free. My mind felt like it was able to let go of emotion, thought, and sensation and just....be.

For me, meditating every day has become a way of life. It has been a great practice to help me focus on what I want out of my life and cut down the distractions that our modern society seems to continuously throw at us. It has been perhaps the best choice I made this year.

If you want to learn a little more about meditation, check out this very good interview that Joshua Fields Millburn from the Minimalists did with Dan Harris.


At the end of their discussion, there is a link to a great guided meditation from Sam Harris, a fellow who writes some very though-provoking essays on his website. Here is the link to those guided meditations, which I still frequently use (I am still a beginner after all!)