Friday 8 May 2015

No Coffee


I ran out of coffee today. I usually do a grocery run on the weekend but I am not going to refill my container of ground coffee.

Am I crazy!?

No coffee? What am I going to do? Well, in the past few months I have lowered my coffee intake considerably. I am not giving up on drinking coffee altogether, because I still enjoy a nice cup in the morning. I am giving it up for at least the next though. I will stick to drinking tea for the next week and see how the lack of coffee will affect my focus and my body. I think this will be an interesting experiment. 

I suspect that by lowering my coffee intake even more will make drinking coffee a special occasion. It will be a treat when I do drink it. When we have something in our life that we get used to, we begin to take it for granted. How many other things do we take for granted? Can we be grateful for these things instead?

I will return to drinking coffee next week with gratitude. I will practice gratitude for the cup of coffee in my hands. I will be grateful for the amount of work that went into it (the coffee farmers, the shippers, the manufacturers who made my mug, etc.).

What else can we be grateful for? Instead of complaining about the pothole in the road, can we be grateful for having roads paved for us? What can you be grateful for today?