Tuesday 6 January 2015

On Video Games

How much time do we spend playing video games? I know I used to spend a lot of time playing games. Sometimes full days. I play a lot less video games now. Part of that is because I am a lot more focused on what I really want to do now. I spend more time learning, reading, writing. More time with the people in my life that matter.

This isn't to say that video games are entirely bad. I learned great skills from playing strategy games, or dexterity from first-person shooters, or even math skills in educational games. I even experienced some wonderful stories that still stick with me. Video games were a huge part of growing up for me, but I think it is only good in moderation. When I see friends of mine who spend as many hours playing MMOs (massive multi-player online games) for as many hours as they spend working their day jobs, I think this becomes an issue. When you start neglecting your physical and mental health (or your friends and family) to spend more time playing every new game that comes out, I think this becomes an issue.


I think we can all spend a little less time glued to our escapist video game worlds where we keep striving for the next achievement, and focus on what achievements we want to make in our everyday lives. When I think back over my life, are my greatest achievements the ones when I caught all 150 Pokémon or maxed out all of my characters in Final Fantasy? Or will my greatest achievements be the novel I finished writing, or the film I won an award for, the painting I sold, or the family I raised? Because ultimately, playing video games is supporting the dreams of the people who created them, instead of supporting the dreams of what we want to create.

Check out this TedX talk from Cam Adair on escaping video game addiction. I think this is a real issue that not a lot of people believe is a problem. Check it out: